Rogue One is now in cinemas so I thought it would be a good idea to explore some other possible spin off films. We already have a young Han Solo film starring Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover confirmed, so that film is off the possible lists. I have tried to avoid stories that already exist in the canon universe, but am drawing on a lot of the stories that are no longer canon. There may be some spoilers for Star Wars material, whether it’s the films, TV shows, novels, or video games so you’ve been warned. There is a huge range of possibilities here so I need someone who knows the Star Wars incredibly well to join me for this one. This is why William Ingram once again joins me as we pick our Top 5 potential Star Wars Spin off films.
- Shuggie: Darth Reven – The old republic is a huge untapped market in what is now the canon material and one of the best stories within that time period is that of Darth Reven. Now there are people who know a lot more about both the period and the story of Reven, but from what I can tell it is a hugely interesting story that has a wildly different take on a Jedi turning to the Dark Side than anything we’ve in the current film universe. One of events that happen in Reven’s story has become canon in the Star Wars: Clone Wars series, and Reven himself was meant to appear in some form of force ghost, although this was then pulled, but it shows that he is a character that has been considered. There is a reason a Reven film is so low on my list, but it’s something I will address later.
- Will: Qui-Gon Jinn – I was torn between this and a film focussing on how the Rebels dealt with the Empire after it fell. As Rogue One deals with the Rebellion I shall indulge myself by picking a film about one of my favourite characters. Qui-Gon appears in Episode I already as wise, yet maverick, Jedi and this gives scope to explore a Jedi who seriously questions the organisation he works for. As the former apprentice of soon to be Sith Count Dooku, Qui-Gon’s film could see him battle temptations the Jedi believe to be paths to the Dark Side. While I’m not suggesting a turn to the dark side, a film about perhaps a forbidden love (done better than Anakin/Padme) or the destruction of his home planet would be a very interesting film and could show us the folly and arrogance of the Jedi Council in the prequels.
- Shuggie: The Force Unleashed/Secret Apprentice – A second story based on a no longer canon video game, the Forced Unleashed. In the story Vader has taken on a secret apprentice, named Starkiller in the game, who is hunting the remaining Jedi as part of training to assassinate the Emperor for Vader. It’s a story that would tie into what we’ve seen in Rebels as part of the origin of the rebellion, but also laying the seeds for the Vader we saw in Return of the Jedi who wanted to overthrow the Emperor with Luke. As with all these ideas it wouldn’t have to follow the source material exactly, as it would have to be worked to fit with the canon material, but it’s a great story that fits into the period that is currently being explored in a lot of EU material. They could also take the voice actor for Starkiller, Sam Witwer, to play the central character, as he is a talented actor.
- Will: Darth Plagueis and Darth Sidious – The Emperor is the ultimate evil in the galaxy. Cunning and conniving, Sidious plays the entire galaxy when creating the Empire and, but for a bit of fatherly love, would have continued to rule for many years. He explains some of his own back-story in Revenge of the Sith to Anakin and I think it would be fascinating to see a young Palpatine learn the ways of the dark side of the force. I think this film would be best if it focussed on his relationship with his master and how they kept themselves secret (perhaps with a lightsaber battle or two). Obviously it all ends with Palpatine’s betrayal of Plagueis, but is there a hint of regret, or does the Emperor truly have no compassion.
- Shuggie: Darth Bane and the Rule of Two – Like the aforementioned Darth Reven Darth Bane is a Sith Lord who existed during the period of the Old Republic. Unlike Reven however Bane is a confirmed character in the existing canon, thanks to an appearance as an apparition in the final episode of The Clone Wars animated show. Given that he’s such a hugely popular character from the legends material it would make sense to tell his story if Lucasfilm ever wanted to dive further into the history of the Sith. It’s Reven who actually creates the Sith Rule of Two, where there should only be two Sith in existence at any one time. His story takes place during a large-scale war between the Jedi and Sith armies, which would offer us incredible new imagery and stories to the Star Wars universe. My problem with both this and the Darth Reven story is that the Old Republic is such an interesting period that connects so well that it might actually be better served as a TV series rather than being told through films.
- Will: Young Princess Leia – Set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, this film would explore Leia’s rise to power on Alderaan. It could document her first interactions with the Rebel Alliance and how she courted danger even at a young age. The daughter of Bail Organa, known to be anti-Empire, would have put a target on her head and it’d be great to see her talk her out of situations, perhaps showing off some of her headstrong characteristics she shows in the original trilogy. Setting it on Alderaan would also allow its destruction in Episode IV to carry more weight and I think Leia is comfortably iconic enough to carry her own film.
- Shuggie: Ahsoka Tano – For those who have only seen the animated Clone Wars film and didn’t watch the whole of the animated show then you might not know about what a brilliant character Ahsoka turned out to be. There is a period between the animated Clone Wars and Rebels shows where we don’t really know what happened Ahsoka. This is the perfect period of time to explore the character fully and to give her a much-deserved live action debut. The only person who could really be behind this film is definitely Dave Filoni one of the main figures behind the animated shows (and having previously worked on Avatar: The Last Airbender). He now oversees all Lucasfilm animation projects and could very well be finding himself as the director of a live action Stat Wars film soon. And given that he’s one the main creators of Ahsoka that live action film could be hers.
- Will: Obi-Wan Kenobi – The spin-off film most requested by fans, an in-depth look into the life of Obi Wan Kenobi set on Tatooine between episodes III and IV is a must. Ewan McGregor was one of the stars of the prequels and has expressed an interest in doing it, so I’d be very surprised if Disney didn’t have this penned in for the future. In terms of plot, I’d like to see a damaged Obi-Wan, who has to come to terms with his part in Anakin’s fall and him dealing with the fact he helped create the terror that is Darth Vader. Interaction with Qui-Gon’s force ghost will also support him as Obi-Wan also deals with increasingly distant and suspicious Owen and Beru. In terms of a villain I’d like to see someone from the planet that works out who he is and tries to blackmail him. Make Mos Eisley the most wretched hive of scum and villainy.
- Shuggie: Obi-Wan Kenobi – Even the biggest critics of the Prequel trilogy tend to agree that Ewen McGregor’s performance as Obi-Wan was superb. McGregor is now the perfect age to play a slightly older Obi-Wan during his time on Tatooine protecting a young Luke Skywalker. It’s a premise that could be taken in so many directions by potential filmmakers. This could be a far smaller scale Star Wars film if that’s the direction they wanted to take it, and I think that would be my preferred take. This would an isolated, and potentially out of practice Obi-Wan fighting to protect Luke from some evil force trying to threaten him. Given that these spin offs do appear to be sticking closer to characters or events from the main series films, and that McGregor has said he would be interested in doing the film it looks like this will just be a matter of when this is going to happen rather than if.
- Will: Boba Fett – Another film which would be hugely popular (and clearly my personal favourite) would be fellow fan favourite Boba Fett. The notorious bounty hunter would be wonderful in his own film. He looks badass and I’d love to see how he got his reputation as the best bounty hunter in the galaxy. We’d get to see his first interactions with the Empire, learn exactly who Vader was referring to when he demanded “no disintegrations” and perhaps even have a Han Solo cameo. We could also explore his relationships with his fellow bounty hunters and look at him attempting to emulate his father. A film about any bounty hunter in this universe would be cool, but Boba Fett has a very interesting back-story and we can very easily visit other interesting Star Wars planets. Alongside meeting Han and Vader, Boba can also meet Jabba and delve more into that world.
So those are our picks for potential future Star Wars spin offs. Is there a particular story, character, or time period you would want to see explored? Do you even want to see any more spin off film? And what are your thoughts on Rogue One? Let me know in the comments.